National Chocolate Cupcake Day Recipe
We couldn’t let national chocolate cupcake day go by without giving you a recipe to bake your own batch! We found this amazing recipe from Sallys Baking Addiction and we are obsessed!!
Cupcakes come in all shapes and sizes and what is so great about each and every recipe, is that you can always add a little touch of something to make them your own! This recipe for super moist chocolate cupcakes is one of our favorites! Display your yummy cupcakes on a chippy enamel cakestand to make sure that everyone gets to enjoy your yummy creation before taking a bite!
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature*
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable or canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk, at room temperature*
- frosting: chocolate buttercream or any of your favorites!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second pan with 2 liners – this recipe makes about 14 cupcakes. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until *just* combined; do not overmix. The batter will be thin.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the liners. Fill only halfway to avoid spilling over the sides or sinking. Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling completely before frosting.
- Frost cooled cupcakes however you’d like. Top with sprinkles, if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Make ahead tip: Prepare cupcakes 1 day in advance. Keep them frozen and thaw when you are ready to frost and serve!